Bibliography of Playing Cards
The list that follows represents a bibliography of major works related to
playing cards, including the history and design of playing cards and related subjects.
Corrections and additions are welcomed.
Hoyle's Rules of Games. As a
result of this book, the phrase "according to Hoyle" became an American idiom.
- Beal, George. Playing Cards and Their Story. Arco Publishing,
New York. 1975.
- Benham, W. Gurney, Sir. Playing Cards : History of the pack and
explanations of its many secrets. Spring Books, London.
- Chatto, W. A. Facts and Speculations on Playing Cards. London,
- Crestin-Billet, Frederique.
Collectible Playing Cards.
- D'Allemagne, Henry Rene. Antique Playing Cards : A Pictorial History.
- Dawson, Tom and Judy.
The Hochman Encyclopedia of American Playing Cards. 2000.
- Field, Albert.
Transformation Playing Cards: The creative art
that transforms playing card suit signs into pictures. U.S. Games,
- Hargrave, Catherine Perry. A History of Playing Cards
Bibliography. 1930. Reprint, Dover Publications, New York,
- Morley, H. T. Old and Curious Playing Cards. Batsford,
- Hoffmann, D. and M. Dietrich. Die Dondorf'Schen Luxus-Spielkarten. History of German playing card manufacturer B.
Contains 80 full-color plates of antique cards from the 19th and early 20th
centuries. Text written in German. (256 pp. Ill. pb).
- O'Donogue, Freeman M. Catalogue of the Playing Cards of Lady
Charlotte Schreiber. Longman & Co., London. 1901.
- Taylor, E. S. The History of Playing Cards. London,
1865. Reprinted by Tuttle.
- Tilley, Roger. A History of Playing Cards. Clarkson N
Potter, New York. 1973.
Collecting Playing Cards: Identification And Value Guide
D. J. McAdam Encyclopedia of Playing Cards
© DJ McAdam, all
Home | Book Collecting
| Folklore / Myth |
Philately | Playing Cards |