Dictionary of Divination
Perhaps the simplest definition of "divination" is that it is an
attempt at obtaining "divine" knowledge, that is, knowledge that would
not normally be obtainable my mere mortals. Most frequently, the knowledge
sought is knowledge of the future.
It is not difficult to understand Man's desire to have such knowledge.
Instead of being at the mercy of the gods, or of Fate, or of nature, Man would
prefer to exercise control over his destiny - or, if control should not be
possible, then he at least would like some foreknowledge of what awaits him, so
that he might better prepare for the future.
The list that follows represents a gathering of information concerning the
major types of board games and their variations. List items that are
highlighted may be clicked on for additional information.
- Aeromancy - By air.
- Alectryomancy (also Alectoromancy) - By poultry. Grains are
placed on each letter of the alphabet. Then a cockerel with claws cut
eats the grain, spelling out something.
- Arithmancy (also Numerology) - By numbers.
- Astrology - also known as astromancy or
horoscopy. Divination by study of the movements of heavenly bodies,
particularly the major planets.
- Axinomancy - By hatchet.
- Botanomancy - By herbs.
- Capnomancy - By smoke.
- Carromancy - By melting wax.
- Cartomancy - By cards. This term may be used
for any types of cards, including tarot
cards, and cards
specifically produced for divinatory purposes.
- Catoptromancy - By mirror. Also
- Cephalomancy - By donkey's head.
- Chiromancy - By the palm of the hand. Also known as palmistry.
- Cledomancy - By words.
- Cleromancy - By lots.
- Cromniomancy - By onions.
- Gastromancy - By the sounds of the stomach.
- Hydromancy - By water.
- I Ching. Divination system based on the Book of Changes.
- Idolomancy - By idols. This form of divination is, of course,
closely related to oracles.
- By lamps or candles.
- Lecanomancy - By precious stones dropped in water.
- Numerology (also see arithmancy) - By numbers.
- Oniromancy - By dreams.
- Onychomancy - By the fingernails.
- Ornithomancy - By bird flight or song.
- Ouija, also known as ouija board or spirit
- Palmistry - By the hands. also, chiromancy.
- Podomancy - By the feet.
- Pyromancy - By fire.
- Scrying - By crystal balls, magic mirrors and
- Spatalamancy - By skins, bones or excrement.
- Sycomancy - By figs.
- Tasseography - By tea leaves. (Or, alternately, by coffee grounds.)
- Tyromancy - By the coagulation of cheese.
Home | Book Collecting
| Folklore / Myth |
Philately | Playing Cards |